[Lazarus] Configure Build Lazarus, round 2

Juha Manninen juha.manninen at phnet.fi
Tue Dec 22 12:02:15 CET 2009

On tiistai, 22. joulukuuta 2009 11:08:06 Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 08:54:01 +0200
>
> Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Why Save profiles button is needed? Can this be done automatically?
>
> I guess it is the former button: 'Save settings' which means 'Save and
> exit without building'.

Yes, That's the case. I changed the text back to 'Save settings' now.

The logic is now that all changes made in this dialog remain until you click
'Save settings' or 'Build' to save them or 'Cancel' to not save them.
Changed settings are copied to the selected profile automatically 'on the
fly'.

The same thing in the profiles' manager dialog. You can 'Cancel' all your
addition and reordering if you like.

This is quite standard and logical. I was also thinking of making changes to a
profile's settings more difficult. There would be a 'Refresh' button and the
settings would move to a profile only when you click it.
It would complicate the program code but also create other UI problems. What
is the user selects another profile after changing settings? Then he would be
warned like:
"You have changed settings. Do you want to save them before moving to another
profile?* Yes, No...
That would be a very irritating UI design. Some earlier KDE versions had it
between config window panes. They fixed it fortunately.

The basic assumption must be that the user knows what he is doing and if he
screws up badly then he can click 'Cancel'.

Regards,
Juha Manninen