[Lazarus] Lazarus documentation

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 22:11:36 CET 2009

2009/12/29 Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl>:
> Lazarus has a chm registry. Currently rtl, fcl,lcl are hardcoded in the UI

Ah, so that is what was meant by "search".  Looking through the
registry of CHM help files managed by the IDE.

> The main one that it is instrumentable in a two way direction. IOW they are
> linked over IPC means, and afaik that is a two way connection. So lhelp can

Ah, you guys beat me to it. :-)  I planned that for fpGUI's DocView as
well. Managing things like tutorial based help where DocView tells the
application to advance to the next step, or the application informs
docview of help window size change etc... The two-way communication is
a very handle feature I think.

> answer. The objective is of course both, but its current needs are mostly
> geared towards the IDE.

Ah, good to know the current goal of lhelp. DocView is primarily
designed for application help, but then the IDE is also an
application. :-)

> except maybe the fact that lazarus has a plugin system that forces load of
> all indexes on start.  That's a time and memory hog.

After getting lhelp working via the IDE I immediately noticed the slow
noticeable.

> times than I would have liked. All these failed before. Including postedit
> events etc. Same with the original ps2pdf conversions (before pdflatex),

I quickly noticed that with the Latex to INF converter I wrote. Latex
can get quite complex and is very hard to translate programmaticly. I
will use it only for the odd Latext document conversions, but for the
FPC Language Reference document I wanted a neatly formatted and well
layout document, just like what latex produces for printing (in PDF
format). That's why I decided to convert that document manually.

> But that first would mean agreeing on a latex subset, something that Michael
> always has refused afaik. Switching to another format is no solution IMHO

I immediately made it clear to Michael that my INF conversion of the
ref document is not a suggestion that he must change to INF format.
The INF format is simply an additional benefit to the original PDF
document. I have no problem with this, after all, Michael did all the
documentation work so he is entitled to dictate the documentation
format he wants to write in.

  - Graeme -