[Lazarus] Docking and Layout managers

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 12:59:35 CET 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Hans-Peter Diettrich
<DrDiettrich1 at aol.com> wrote:
> widgetsets (Win32, Qt...), if the users want such an option, or it might
> become fat when everything is done in the library, as IIRC is the
> approach of fpGUI. A slim version IMO would be nice for embedded
> devices, where available RAM (currently) imposes some limits.

fpGUI might do everything itself, but it is a *lot* less bloated that
binding to Win32, Qt, GTKx etc. By bloated I mean memory wise and hard
drive space (install) size.

> I understand the value of Delphi compatibility, but I cannot accept that
> such compatibility should block forever the evolution of new features.

This has been a battle between myself and LCL developers has well (the
mailing list history will show that <smile>). For LCL developers,
Delphi compatibility and native components are king. For my day-to-day
work, that did not suite our company well - we needed more flexibility
and hence the reason fpGUI exists.

Regards,
  - Graeme -