[Lazarus] Wiki pages suggestion - feature comparison

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Fri Feb 20 23:25:07 CET 2009

Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:

>> Why are you constantly trying to convince Delphi people to switch to
>> Lazarus, even in the Embarcadero Forums?
>
> I'm not telling them to dump Delphi. As I stated over and over - a bit
> of competition is great!  In the newsgroup, I was simply stating that
> other developers could target a whole new market for there products.

That's okay in so far, as FPC and Lazarus are designed as platform
extenders for Delphi.

>> It's important for the Pascal Language that CodeGear is selling products.
>
> Don't blame me for Borland and now CoadGear doing badly with Delphi.
> If they stopped kissing Microsoft's ass and concentrated on there own
> ideas, they would still have had a brilliant product. Trying to create
> a Visual Studio clone is not going to get them far - as they noticed!!

The VS clone was an attempt to make people move from VS (and VB, VC...)
to Delphi and Pascal.

IMO Borland/Inprise/CodeGear better had provided a Visual Pascal plugin
for VS. Borland has been the leading IDE provider for Windows long ago,
but nowadays MS has the better IDE, supporting more languages.

Hint: Lazarus also is a Delphi IDE clone.

Consequently Lazarus should not try to replace Delphi, IMO. The primary
goal of Lazarus should be a Delphi (OPL/VCL) compatible back-end, with a
platform independent component library.

DoDi