[Lazarus] Please help with strings "dissappearing" - because of funny non-ascii chars

Reenen Laurie rlaurie at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 16:19:40 CET 2009

Luca said:
You have to either convert the file to utf8 before opening it or convert
it while you read it.

How do I convert it? What I've tried is:
* Open the badly formatted file in the Lazarus IDE, then copied the "funny"
chars into the following code:
* s := stringReplace(s,'"','""',[rfReplaceAll, rfIgnoreCase]);
* s := stringReplace(s,'"','""',[rfReplaceAll, rfIgnoreCase]);

But that also doesn't work...

Sigh...

Regards,
-Reenen

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Luca Olivetti <luca at wetron.es> wrote:

> En/na Reenen Laurie ha escrit:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am at the end of my patience, and I have no clue what to do, and this
> > project needed to have been done a week or so back.
> >
> > When I execute attached program (*very* simple).  And open file
> > "example.csv" then my showmessage command doesn't display anything.
> >
> > I am unsure if there is anything in the string, though I think it is.
> >
> > Please help! How can I get that funny chars to display... even if I have
> > to somehow replace them with an ascii counterpart.
>
> The LCL only works with utf8, while your file appears to be cp1250.
> You have to either convert the file to utf8 before opening it or convert
> it while you read it.
> BTW, under linux I see the funny characters, though they're not what
> they should be. I don't know it if is because I'm trying with a snapshot
> of 0.9.26.1 or because the linux interface is more tolerant with
> malformed strings than the windows one.
>
> Bye
> --
> Luca