[Lazarus] FYI: qt is going to be LGPL

Luca Olivetti luca at wetron.es
Wed Jan 14 17:01:51 CET 2009

En/na zeljko ha escrit:
> On Wednesday 14 January 2009 11:19, Luca Olivetti wrote:
>> You probably already know this, anyway I thing is good news for the qt
>> lazarus port.
>>
>> Qt 4.5 is going to be released under the LGPL instead of the GPL:
>> http://www.qtsoftware.com/about/news/lgpl-license-option-added-to-qt
>
> AFAIK , it will not be replacement for GPL. I got mail from nokia this
> morning:
> " Dear Qt User:
>
> Nokia is pleased to announce that with the release of Qt 4.5 you will
> be able to use Qt under the Lesser General Public License (LGPL)
> version 2.1 terms. When released in March 2009, Qt will be made
> available under three licensing options: Commercial, LGPL and GPL.
> Prior versions of Qt are not impacted by this announcement."
>
> It says 3 licencing options.

Ok, my bad, it's not /replacing/ the GPL, but offering you the
/additional/ option of using it under the LGPL.
IANAL but I think that the end result is the same: you will be able to
use qt4.5 for gpl programs *and* for closed program.
Just like gtk.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-2.1.html

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004      Fax +34 93 5883007