[Lazarus] Linux

cc_ at freemail.hu cc_ at freemail.hu
Wed Jan 21 19:11:51 CET 2009

"Let's be honest here: current versions of both GNOME and KDE are quite
slower than XP UI.

It always felt a bit slower - what I and many others assumed to be
caused by  the X architeture or lack of hardware acceleration - but
benchmarks seemed to differ.
Anyway "Linux" UI performance has been on a downhill for years;
enlightenment 0.16 with plenty of bells and whistles runs perfectly on
a Pentium 100MHz, but current encarnations of GNOME and KDE run barely
acceptably on a Duron 1.2GHz (with a geforce 6200 either with vesa, nv
or nvidia drivers. Of course the onboard sis video isn't any better).
Enlightenment and LXDE (and other ligthweight DEs) still runs pretty
smooth; XFCE doesn't cut it since it switched to GTK2 :-/
It seems CPU-related, as a Core2 notebook with a crappy via onboard
video runs snappy even with either openchrome or vesa driver."

Maybe this could be an issue worth discussing here after all. :)

The main reason Linux is becoming important for us is to target small
companies where price matters a lot. This far I thought that Linux would be
superior to XP possibly even with weaker machines. Now I feel I really need
advice from those who can compare the two. :)

It looks we can tell our clients which distro and GUI to use, but I need to
make that decision first. I think it could be for the benifit of quite some
of us to make a list of the worthy canditates (distro, GUI) with their
advantages and disadvantages from the developers point of view (support and
maintanace included. I'd welcome any personal opinion/experience.

Regards,
Leslie