[Lazarus] Linux

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk sanliturk at ttmail.com
Thu Jan 22 05:26:49 CET 2009

Dear Leslie ,

I am also studying many Linux , FreeBSD , Solaris , OpenSolaris
distributions
to find an easily  usable  one  with the condition that  my program when
becomes ready
can be run on it as attached to a network .

I bought more than 10 hard disks with a smallest ( GigaByte / price )
ratio value
( some 250 GB , some 320 GB ... ) .

I am installing an OS on a disk in a PC , then I am attaching other one
to the
same PC and installing a new one . I am not using partitions and not
different
distributions in disks connected at the same time because they are changing
structure of first hard disk .

My work PC is around 2.5 GHz Intel Pentium with an Intel main board .

For Delphi programming I am using XP Professional .
Up to now I could not be able to obtain a fully working copy of my program
compiled by Free Pascal in GUI mode due to Delphi and Free Pascal
differences.
After obtaining that I will start to compile it for Linux , FreeBSD ,
Solaris .

For Internet access I am using an XP Home and another PC with Mandriva
Free 2008.0 .

My main aim is also to be able to find a best combination to advice to
the users
because in a data base environment users need many PCs and at least one
server .

There are pages in Internet comparing Linux and BSD distributions .

If you search

benchmarking of linux distributions
comparison of linux distributions

benchmarking of BSD distributions
comparison of BSD distributions

in Google , you will find a lot of pages about this subject .

In your case , you did not mention exact listing of your hardware components
and services running in your PC .

For Lazarus  , selected widget set  ( GTK ,  GTK2 )
may affect   response times  . There are many messages about that issue
. If you search
Lazarus mailing list,  you may find messages about that issue also .

My experience is that there are not Lazarus performance differences due to
used OS .

If you have another PC running XP , you may disconnect its hard disk  and
attach your other OS hard disk to the same machine and compare the
performance
of the SAME Lazarus configuration ( Version , SVN , Widget Set , etc. ) .

At present I can not suggest another solution to your problem because
I could not be able reach to a useful conclusion on my studies yet .

With my best wishes for your success .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk