[Lazarus] Linux

Reenen Laurie rlaurie at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 08:18:45 CET 2009

I run linux on a PC with an on-board intel graphics adapter, about 3y old.
When I enable some of the "bloat" it is actually more responsive than some
of the things that are supposed to be the "standard" stuff...

eg.  Compiz stuff, like enhanced zoom (AWESOME tool, press Hyper - Mouse
Scroll, and it zooms), wobbly windows... these things goes so smooth (hardly
registers on the fairly weak 2.6 celeron CPU), I'd thought I had a 512mb
graphics adaptor.

But doing some more basic stuff... I dunno, like scrolling in firefox on a
window with some flash, javascript etc. is slow and sluggish.

Or opening the /lib folder in a file-open dialog box... slow as hell... I
dunno, get a text list first, then assign the icons...

So some things are very responsive, and other things are not so. :-/

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Luca Olivetti <luca at wetron.es> wrote:

> En/na Marco van de Voort ha escrit:
> > On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 09:41:56AM +0100, Luca Olivetti wrote:
> >> En/na Graeme Geldenhuys ha escrit:

> >> Probably because they're doing a lot less than Gnome/KDE?
> >
> > Probably yes, but combined with the fact that those teams seem to be more
> > interested in developing yet another new internal architecture every two
> > years rather than optimize the current one.
>
> That's sadly true, however, apart from the rough transition from kde3 to
> kde4 (which still needs some optimization), it seems to me that each new
> release adds functionality with lower (or at the same level) system
> requirements, so it's not that bad.
> Besides, nobody forces you to use gnome/kde: I have deployed a couple of
> really low end machines (they've more or less the power of a 486, but
> they're really nice since they're the same size as a vesa mount, so you
> can fit them with the lcd) with puppy linux and no window manager at all
> (they only run my application).
>
> Bye
> --
> Luca Olivetti
> Wetron Automatización S.A. http://www.wetron.es/
> Tel. +34 93 5883004      Fax +34 93 5883007

o__
,_.>/ _
...speed is good