[Lazarus] fpWeb - Apache Modules

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 08:59:02 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Lee Jenkins <lee at datatrakpos.com> wrote:
> Powtils and other only cgi frameworks by their nature do not support object
> pooling.  The only other option that I saw was apache dso's using the fpWeb
> framework but that did not turn out too well and I spent quite a long time
> trying to get apache to load the dso (which it would not) let alone actually
> running it.

I have currently written a large chunk of our application using
Powtils for standard CGI applications. I miss object pooling or DB
connection pooling a lot. Setting up a connection is very slow
compared to many other things, and having to do that on every mouse
click is not ideas.

I will be investigating alternative options. fpWeb and DSO etc.. I
even thought of creating a Application Server application like in a
3-tier app. The CGI apps then communicate to the application server.
The app server is the only one that has the actual DB connection. In
theory this will work, but I haven't tried a prototype yet.

Also, Michael van Canneyt has written some articles on Free
Pascal/Lazarus and web apps. Maybe if you ask nicely, he can send you
those, which might give some hints on how to use fpWeb etc..  :-)

Regards,
  - Graeme -