[Lazarus] Linux

Flávio Etrusco flavio.etrusco at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 12:36:19 CET 2009

2009/1/23 Reenen Laurie <rlaurie at gmail.com>:
>> > But doing some more basic stuff... I dunno, like scrolling in firefox on
>> > window with some flash, javascript etc. is slow and sluggish.
>>

>> Oh yes! This one drives me nuts!  I don't know what causes it, but
>> yes, Firefox is sometimes dog slow when scrolling pages. Yet while
>> using Windows for the odd occasion, I haven't noticed this under
>> Windows.
>
> Actually, it is just the same for me on windows.  Facebook scrolling down
> (using the mouse wheel) is extremely clunky on Firefox, same for my gmail
> (with themes, chat etc enabled).
>
> ... So probably a firefox thing.  Some people said that v2.+ is better at
> this than 3.+
>
> Regards,
> -Reenen

(This thread is getting a bit too long on the OT, but...)

It's probably a several years old bug regarding scrolling of resized images.
Actually AFAICT it's better in Firefox3 than in FF2.

-Flávio

PS. Agreed on the Compiz stuff (some operations being faster than pure
GTK2). Some things really can't be slower when done in dedicated
hardware, even if it's done with OpenGL on crappy hardware. And
regardless of the years of optimization, Cairo doesn't seem to be any
speed racer (some benchmarks say).