[Lazarus] Not sure if the Laz Devs have seen this...

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Jan 24 12:29:15 CET 2009

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009, Florian Klaempfl wrote:

> I used git and mercurial at work for small projects to test things a
> little bit and both are a real pain compared with svn and I saw no
> increased productivity for small projects and I cannot imagine how this
> should be different for fpc or lazarus.
> - line ending conversion is at the same poor level as cvs: you often end
> with full diffs by accident when working on different systems. Ok, I
> admit editing files on a unix system through a samba share with a
> windows editor is uncommon but I often do it and it breaks horrible with
> git and hg.
> - no blocking of revisions to merge: svnmerge has a nice feature which
> allows to block revisions to be merged to a branch. This is neither
> possible with git nor with hg as far as I can see and at least fpc uses
> it heavily.
> - I often forgot a hg up after an hg push/hg pull and ended with files
> full of conflicts due to this.

Thanks for these remarks.

The real reason I keep my eye on git is that Subversion is a real pain
if you have a lot of branches. Tracking all revisions of a file accross
branches (something we do a lot at work) is incredibly slow. The subversion
graph takes meanwhile a full 5 minutes to build up.

But my remark was not meant to indicate that we should switch to git as a main
repository. I merely wanted to say that providing mirrors of SVN in other systems
is something we can consider.

Michael.