[Lazarus] Font sizes on various platforms

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg at opensoft.homeip.net
Tue Jul 7 15:29:21 CEST 2009

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> - I first thought it was dpi related, but setting Linux to run at 96 dpi
> and Windows to 96 dpi there is still a size difference. Windows 8 point
> = Linux 10 point. Why?

And here is the exact same issue shown using a web page with CSS.

   http://jongrieve.net/faq/dcss/

So the issue is wide spread, but still I don't know why. Also does that
mean I need to apply the same font size hack as the guy in the CSS article.

eg:
   ifdef MacOS
      NormalFontSize = 13
   elseif Windows
      NormalFontSize = 8
   elseif Linux
      NormalFontSize = 10
   else
      NormalFontSize = 8  // ??? What would be correct as a default?

   Label.Font.Size = NormalFontSize;

Yuck!!!!  Imagine that all over your code?  Is the ifdef part could be
done in some Constants.pas unit and used globally in your application,
but still it feels like a hack. Not to mention it makes GUI design a lot
more difficult if the same form is edited on various platforms.

Regards,
   - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/