[Lazarus] Font sizes on various platforms

Marc Weustink marc.weustink at cuperus.nl
Wed Jul 8 09:59:15 CEST 2009

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Bruce Tulloch wrote:
>
>> However to avoid polluting the code too much I make almost universal use
>> of the ParentFont property (ie, assigned True) and assign the font at
>> the root of the visual hierarchy (usually the form) at runtime based on
>> the platform DPI.
>
> But currently my Windows and Linux use the same 96 dpi setting, yet the
> 8 pt font under Windows is the same size as a 10 pt font under Linux. So
> the dpi value doesn't seem to be the only culprit. I'm using Arial on
> both platforms as my default font in my applications.

I've the opposite experience with apps in general if I compare fonts
between windows and linux. On my linux, using the same dpi, the same
fonts look bigger and fatter than on my windows.
Event when I run a xserver on windows, with a smaller DPI than my
windows, the fonts are bigger.

Anyway, back to lazarus, fonts defined in points should look to have the
same size on different dpi.
Years ago I wrote that I woulf have a look to get it right for Lazarus,
but that time didn't come :(

Marc