[Lazarus] startlazarus and memory consumption

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg at opensoft.homeip.net
Tue Jul 14 15:54:17 CEST 2009

Marco van de Voort wrote:

> What do they say about these values? Most notably, are you 100% sure that
> all memory regions that are shared are deducted?

I think Mattias hit the nail on the head regarding my system and memory
fragmentation. My system had a uptime of 14 days (which is not really
that long for my system). I never log out of my system and 90% of the
time leave my applications open until the next day back at the office.

Clearly I must have had huge amounts of memory fragmentation for some
reason. My system is a P4 2.4Ghz with 1Gig memory. I just got a Lazarus
update and thought I would recompile Lazarus for the first time in 3 weeks.

I started the build and went on lunch. When I got back, I was VERY
surprised that my system was still busy building the Lazarus IDE. The
linker (ld) was using ALL my virtual "swap" memory - 2 Gigs of it, plus
700MB of physical memory. Needless to say my system was at a crawl.

I killed the linking process, rebooted and did the IDE build again. This
time it only took a few seconds.  I guess I need to schedule reboots
more often than once a month (which is my norm). Though saying that, I
used to run Ubuntu 7.10 exactly the same way on the same system and
never noticed such issues. I'm now on Ubuntu 8.04.2 (upgraded from 7.10
2 months ago).

Anyway, I am a bit off-topic here... My final thought is that
'startlazarus' uses way to much memory for what it does - no matter how
you look at it.

Regards,
   - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/