[Lazarus] startlazarus and memory consumption

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Wed Jul 15 12:40:57 CEST 2009

Marco van de Voort wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 08:54:35PM +0200, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>> Vincent Snijders wrote:
>>> It is to show the splash screen as soon as possible, not to wait until
>>> yet another executable is loaded.
>> Well then we are talking about milliseconds really. A splash screen is
>> normally show just after the Application.Initialize call. Surely a few
>> milliseconds shouldn't make a difference - in return for getting the
>> startlazarus a bit "lighter" in memory usage department.
>
> A splash screen mostly _IS_ for the odd cases, rather for the case where it
> all goes fine. E.g. when an unstripped lazarus bin is on a network share it can take
> long.

ya know... i guess being so much old school as i am but i still fail to really
understand why a "splash screen" is really necessary for much of anything...
especially if it causes the app to consume a lot more memory than truly necessary...

then again, i look back over the recent posts and i see comments like "10ths of
seconds compared to megs of RAM usage" and i stop and really wonder where has
all the reality gone... that meaning who quibbles over a few Meg of RAM when
surely less than 1 Meg is really necessary... :?

and then i stop and look at the mess that GUI apps have to deal with and how
much memory they consume just to be able to draw one tiny "hello world" box on
any OS screen with a stupidly simple "close" button... but i still wonder where
everyone went and why they all decided to stop efficient and "bikini" (meaning
short and to the point) coding and instead have fallen on the wayside with all
the others and are now coding simple apps that somehow turn out to be way over
bloated for one reason or another :? :(

signed, too old school to understand and keep up with the new way of life :? :(