[Lazarus] SQLite & PostgreSQL database questions

Alex du Plessis alexdup01 at telkomsa.net
Wed Jul 22 10:17:40 CEST 2009

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm reading up on some of the backend databases that FPC & Lazarus
> supports via SqlDB.
>
> * Is SQLite a local database only? Something like MS Access (Jet
> database)? Can you use it for client/server applications (web and GUI
> apps) via TCP/IP networking?
>
> * Anybody got some good or bad points regarding PostgreSQL? Last night
> I read about PostgreSQL for the first time. The feature list is very
> impressive and it seem to be right up there with MS SQL Server and
> friends. Anybody know how resilient it is to database corruptions
> (possibly due to power failures) etc... I know Firebird handles such
> cases pretty well.
>
> Regards,
>   - Graeme -

I have had a couple of power failures with Postgres (living in SA an'
all :) and it did handle those without any hiccups.  I found Postgres to
be very easy to access via FPC/Lazarus and it is the only db I use.  I
found the trigger functions(written with PL/pgSQL) can handle any logic
I cared to invent and grammatically very similar to Pascal, making it
easy to learn.

HTH