[Lazarus] SQLite & PostgreSQL database questions

David W Noon david.w.noon at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 22 13:14:57 CEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 09:31 +0200, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> I'm reading up on some of the backend databases that FPC & Lazarus
> supports via SqlDB.
>
> * Is SQLite a local database only? Something like MS Access (Jet
> database)? Can you use it for client/server applications (web and GUI
> apps) via TCP/IP networking?

Yes, SQLite is a flat file database manager without any networking
support, so  it is local access only.

> * Anybody got some good or bad points regarding PostgreSQL? Last night I
> read about PostgreSQL for the first time. The feature list is very
> impressive and it seem to be right up there with MS SQL Server and
> friends. Anybody know how resilient it is to database corruptions
> (possibly due to power failures) etc... I know Firebird handles such
> cases pretty well.

PostgreSQL is intended to be even better than SQL Server, as its
reference point is Oracle. It handles power outages very well, as it
uses journalling to keep track of in-flight transactions.

Just be aware that PostgreSQL is not a "lite" DBMS in any way. To get
the best from it you need to configure the communications side of things
when you first install the software, and you need to design your tables
and tablespaces properly. Note that with its tablespaces spread over
multiple physical disks, PostgreSQL can have multiple physical I/O
operations running concurrently. This means that transaction times can
be slashed by sensible physical data modelling.

There is a hierarchy of Usenet newsgroups for supporting PostgreSQL;
their names all begin with "pgsql".

Dave  [RLU #314465]