[Lazarus] The default Lazarus profile directory location

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Jun 3 13:13:37 CEST 2009

On Wed, 3 Jun 2009, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We just spoke about the freedesktop.org directory standards in another
> message thread and this made me think.  Why isn't Lazarus using the
> GetAppConfigDir(False) as it's default location for all the IDE config
> files. It's hard-coded to $HOME/.lazarus/ directory for Linux (and
> probably other unix type OS's as well)?
>
> I believe Lazarus IDE uses GetAppConfigDir(False) under Windows now, but why
> not for all platforms?
>
> Also GetAppConfigDir(False) does not mean hard-coded $HOME/.config/
> directory. The GetAppConfigDir() adheres to the freedesktop.org
> directory standards (for unix type
> environments) that means $HOME/.config/ is simply the default
> directory if $XDG_CONFIG_HOME environment variable has NOT been set.
> The user can simply set the $XDG_CONFIG_HOME to point to another
> location if they please and GetAppConfigDir(False) will use that
> directory instead.

I think that

a) .lazarus was a logical choice for unix.

b) It is now historically so. Changing this now would mean that the
    current configuration breaks.

But if it bothers you, you can do the following:

ln -s ~/.lazarus ~/.config/lazarus

or even

mv ~/.lazarus ~/.config/lazarus
ln -s ~/.config/lazarus ~/.lazarus