[Lazarus] Lazarus/Embedded firebird tutorial

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Jun 4 11:25:53 CEST 2009

2009/6/4 Torsten Bonde Christiansen <tc at epidata.dk>:

> Did anyone find an answer for this? I'm interested because I would like to
> extract the version information at runtime in both linux and in windows?

So would I, but nobody responded yet.

Also, if the ELF format doesn't support version information, then
shouldn't the Version Info tab in Lazarus IDE be disabled for Linux,
BSD platforms. There is no point in giving the developer false hope by
filling in that information, but nothing is inserted in the
executable.

As for extracting the version information from the executable under
Windows and Linux.
I thought of writing some wrapper function for this. Under Windows
that function will use the Windows API, and under Linux it will use
'<executable> --version' and read back the result. Even though you
create a Linux GUI application, under linux the stdout is always
available, so it should work (I think).

The other question I have, is the application icon. Does the ELF
format support a built-in application icon?  Can Gnome or KDE see that
icon inside the executable (like Windows does) when you create a
desktop shortcut, or must you always use and external icon image file.

Regards,
  - Graeme -