[Lazarus] The default Lazarus profile directory location

Vincent Snijders vsnijders at vodafonevast.nl
Thu Jun 4 15:01:58 CEST 2009

Graeme Geldenhuys schreef:
> 2009/6/4 Vincent Snijders <vsnijders at vodafonevast.nl>:
>> When I am talking about snapshots, they are binary installers not for  a
>> released version.
>
> I know, that is what I was referring to. Currently there are binary
> snapshots available (I don't know who creates them). I just thought it
> a waist of time to create even more binary snapshots which contain the
> "profile directory moved" patches. Why not simply give them the patch
> files and say: apply these in order and then recompile lazarus.
>
> Much less effort and much smaller to download.

And a much less real life test. So you won't find the trouble cases.
That is why you can give the patches to the lazarus developer and maybe
10% of the Lazarus users, but you cannot assume that this is enough
testing, certainly because the circumstance of people who compile from
source are different.

>> I thought Git contains only the sources, not the compiled
>> installers (Mac OS X two cpu, linux two cpus, win32 and win64).
>>
>> How can using Git avoid that trouble?
>
> I don't think I understand?  The Git repository only contains source
> code (just like SubVersion).

I understand now, you meant something else and that the trouble cannot
be avoided.

Vincent