[Lazarus] jQuery interface for fcl-web

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg at opensoft.homeip.net
Mon Jun 8 12:56:57 CEST 2009

Joost van der Sluis wrote:

> I thought that Powtils also adds some other usefull functions. Fcl-web
> is pretty basic, I'm not sure if it's (atm) enough for what you want.

We actually use very little of Powtils. Mainly url parsing (parameters).
We dont' use Powtils session support or templates etc... So it should be
very easy to get rid of Powtils.  Our CGI applications are more like
simple procedural console apps which supports basic CGI.

> Yes, that is the idea. But in my mind it was not supposed to work in
> production, but only stand-alone (one user) with your application
> compiled-in. Just for debugging.

Our distance learning product is exactly that. A single user
application. Our main product uses Apache and is a full blown multi-user
application.

Our idea for the distance learning products is to create an executable
that runs the web-server (nYume is one of the ideas we looked at) and as
soon as the user launched that, it then also launches the users web
browser pointing to the correct starting URL. We will also see about
using a non-standard port (eg: not port 80) so we don't conflict with
any existing web servers that could be installed.

We still need to evaluate the idea and see how permissions will work
under Linux and Windows. Obviously we don't want them to have admin
rights, just to run our product.

  - Graeme -