[Lazarus] EOL character used in .lfm files keep changing

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg at opensoft.homeip.net
Thu Jun 11 12:30:31 CEST 2009

Marc Weustink wrote:

> They should. Especially if you have your sources shared with different
> environments. Svn will change them to on consistent value.

To quote one of my other replies....

Even the RFC4180 document dictates that CSV files *must* use CRLF as the
EOL character, no matter what platform is being used. So checking in
such files into SubVersion with eol-style=native would actually corrupt
(in theory) those data files.

  http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc4180.html

> I share my sources between windows, linux and mac machines and I've only
> problems with files not having that flag.
> Note that I only checkin / update on linux.

Then clearly SubVersion does more trickery when the files are being
committed.

If I modify any form under my Windows VM, all the EOL characters have
changed. Generating a patch from that (using my git repository) gives a
huge amount of unnecessary noise. The last few patches I submitted to
Mantis is proof of that. Only today I found out how to resolve that
issue, by specifying the --ignore-space-at-eol, but that means when the
patch is finally committed and the change does its round trip back to
me, I get another set of merge conflicts, so have to undo my local
changes and continue the merge. Normally such a patch round-trip would
merge perfectly, but not if EOL characters keep changing.

Regards,
  - Graeme -