[Lazarus] EOL character used in .lfm files keep changing

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Thu Jun 11 14:52:42 CEST 2009

Op donderdag 11-06-2009 om 14:17 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Graeme
Geldenhuys:
> Joost van der Sluis wrote:
> >
> > That's why _you_ have a problem now with line-endings, because your tool
> > doesn't handle this right.
>
> I use the best tool for the job, otherwise we would all be developing
> software using vi or notepad.
>
> I am NOT suggesting you guys change you repository!!! We have discussed
> this over and over and over before.... Hence the reason I created and
> maintain a git clone of the lazarus subversion repository. I am
> suggesting something which is done often in many other software cases as
> well, and it is something that will NOT even break any existing code or
> tools.  The .lrs files and .lfm files are probably only edited by a
> select few humans (probably 0.1% of all cases), so it's not even
> something that will raise any issues.

I think most developers have better things to work on, especially when
they don't have this problem themselves.

> > I don't see why we have to fix/change something for a broken tool that
>
> Oh please Joost, get off your high horse... Git (and probably other
> tools) don't believe that silently modifying text files is the right way
> to go. That does NOT make those tools broken. Git simply believes in
> integrity! What you put in is exactly what you get out.

Yes, that's their design. But that design is not suitable when you use
different platforms, between which conversion is needed in some cases.

So, wrong tool in our case.

Joost.