[Lazarus] Git tip: use bisect to find regression bugs quickly

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg at opensoft.homeip.net
Mon Jun 29 14:59:11 CEST 2009

Martin Friebe wrote:
> people, but the way way you generalize it, it sounds that would be an
> advantage for everyone? I much prefer to have the repository on the server.

I'm not starting this again.... :-)

> And if I understand this correct, then GIT downloads *every*
> intermediate version to your PC, every time you upgrade (otherwise, how
> can they already be there). That to me would be a disadvantage, I may
> never need that data.

Read the "Git Mirrors" page on the Lazarus wiki:

  http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/git_mirrors

To quote myself....(which is never a good thing)

"$ git clone git://github.com/graemeg/lazarus.git

...this will download 57MB of data and unpack to around 144MB on your
hard drive. This has the _whole_ history of Lazarus. A checkout via
SubVersion of only the trunk revision is over 320MB - more than double
what Git is with full history."

Even though you end up with every revision, Git's compression is clearly
*much* better than SubVersion's. The WHOLE history of Lazarus is a 57MB
download (and unpacks to 144MB on the hard drive). Compare that to a
SINGLE trunk revision using SubVersion which equals to around 320MB. The
Git repository is much smaller, no matter how you look at it. You get
more bang for you buck! ;-)

Disclaimer:
These values were accurate at the time I created the wiki page. Values
may have increased since - as the project grew.

Regards,
  - Graeme -