[Lazarus] GPL'ed projects and closed-sourced tools

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Tue Mar 3 11:52:49 CET 2009

Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:

> I got told in the CodeGear newsgroups that if you create a GPL'ed
> project, the tools used to create that project must also be GPL'ed
> otherwise somebody might require a commercial compiler to compile the
> GPL'ed project.

AFAIR there exists a requirement (how strong?), that a user shall be
able to build the project from the source code, so that everybody can
trust his selfmade binaries, and is not bound to binaries supplied by
third parties. For this reason all modified source code must be made
available to the users.

> I have never heard anything like this before. As far as I understand,
> if a project is GPL'ed, it relates only to that project or projects
> based on the original project. It has nothing to do with what tools
> (compiler, editor, IDE, OS, etc) you used to create that source code.
> Is my assumption correct?

ACK

DoDi