[Lazarus] Easiest way to "case" strings

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Sun Mar 22 21:18:39 CET 2009

Alexander Klenin schrieb:

>> Delphi 2 (or 3?) was the last version with a grammar for the language.
>> After that version the supplied "OPL grammar" is neither correct nor
>> complete, the language is no more LL(1).
> It is historically interesting, but does it really matter?

I'd call it serious, when a single semicolon can change the meaning of
the source code (before a case else).

> The important characteristic of the syntax is its convenience to humans,
> and if that requires slightly more work from the compiler, then so be it.
> AFAIK, most modern compilers moved to recursive descent parsers
> due to similar reasons.

Just hand written recursive descent parsers leave room for any kind of
irregular behaviour :-(

>>> While I deeply respect Wirth's contributions to programming language design,
>>> I think Modula and especially Oberon are not the best sources for inspiration.
>> I dare to disagree.
> Present your examples then ;-)

I don't want to go into details here. The design of a language is so
complex, most decisions depend on others, and they must fit all together.

> Besides that, what useful features do you think
> Object Pascal / FPC might take from Oberon?

More important is what *not* should be taken from other languages.

DoDi