[Lazarus] Mac OS X or iPhone applications created with Lazarus

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 18:38:11 CET 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am hearing constant battering that you cannot create native looking
> Mac or iPhone applications with Lazarus.  By the way, these comments
> come from the CodeGear non-technical newsgroup. Is there any truth to
> this?

No, Lazarus now has an excelent support for Carbon, which uses the
native Aqua look from Macs. Here a screenshot of Lazarus running in
Mac OS X:

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Image:Lazarusmac0.9.25.jpg

You can note that the menu is integrated in the top bar, it shows
properly in the Dock and I think that even dropping files in it should
work (althought I didn't test). No X11 is required and copy+paste and
all other normal desktop integration works normally.

Of course Lazarus has the same general look in all platforms, but
users are free to tune their applications for Macs if they want. The
native controls from Apple are used, so not much difference to
Objective-C apps should be expected.

And to kill any counter argument, if you want to create applications
by using Cocoa directly you can also do that using PasCocoa, which has
no difference from other applications created with Xcode:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/PasCocoa

So there is absolutely no truth in that statement.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho