[Lazarus] IDE UI consolidation (was: Re: lfm as pascal)

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Wed May 6 16:21:10 CEST 2009

Martin Friebe schrieb:

>> 2) "Find in files", "Messages" and "Code observer" should be merged together,
>> with interface most resembling "Find in files"
>>
> IMHO, this (point 2) would  be even more a specialization. Also I can't
> see how those 3 relate at all.

They can use the same "Search Results" window for their output. That
window will know what to do (show related place in source code) when an
entry is clicked.

> Anyway, for that lets wait for docking.

Some notes on docking:

The "Messages" and "Search Results" can be docked to the IDE main
window, eventually by default.

The docking of forms is unsupported on many platforms, due to the
different management of controls (widgetset) and windows (window
manager). So all dockable windows should contain one single component
for their entire content. (or the forms should float as clients of a
floating form). This requirement lead me to another suggestion:

When one or more forms are docked into another window, their UI (menus,
toolbars...) could be added to the dock host form's UI. Just an idea...

> what about:
> - keybard layouts?
> - Menu layouts?

Some visual design for toolbars (and menus) would be nice, as in the
Delphi IDE window (configure by drag&drop from the list of available
options to a toolbar).

DoDi