[Lazarus] Watches/Local variables/Registers [Re: IDE UI consolidation (was: Re: lfm as pascal)]

Martin Friebe lazarus at mfriebe.de
Wed May 6 23:56:06 CEST 2009

To heat the discussion up:
 From the wiki:

>     Watches/Local variables/Registers
>
> All three are a lists of name/value pairs used at debug time.
>
> They should be merged together in a single list with appropriate
> filtering capabilities.

That would make debugging so much harder.
Let's assume merging those 3 does *not* mean a window with 3 tabs (as
all 3 must be visible at once), but rather a window with splitters, so
you can set how much of each you want to see...

1)
Still I often use watches to show local variables which have a very long
value. In this case I can have a narrow Local window (left to the code),
and a very wide (but only a few lines high / below the code) watches
window.

Of course, If I am the only one who uses this in such a way, then it's
not a reason.

2)
99% of the time I don't need the register window => with them all
showing in the same window, I will be very busy hiding it (move the
splitter to 0 size)

And I really can't imagine, that everyone else is using the registers at
all times.

Martin