[Lazarus] Ubuntu 9.04 (Lazarus too slow)

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 7 11:48:45 CEST 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Mark Morgan Lloyd
<markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm not fully up-to-date with versions etc. but what I've seen is that
> under some circumstances Lazarus- particularly with gtk2- is
> unreasonably slow running over a remote (i.e. networked) X session.
> Speed to a local X session and remotely using VNC is acceptable.

Lazarus via a remove X session in TOTALLY unusable!! It is clearly a
bug somewhere in the LCL-GTK2 widgetset, because other GTK2
applications like Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird, Nero for Linux, gEdit,
Nautilus etc all run fine with acceptable speeds.

I can't remember how Lazarus with GTK1 runs over a remote X session. I
would really like to develop remotely on our 64bit Linux server, but
currently can't. This is one of the reasons I really want to get the
LCL-fpGUI widgetset going - so remote development can become a
reality.
BTW: fpGUI based applications also run really nice over a remote X session.

And no I don't want or like VNC sessions.

-
Regards,
  - Graeme -