[Lazarus] Environment variables in IDE's search path

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sat May 16 09:06:55 CEST 2009

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 7:46 AM, dmitry boyarintsev
<skalogryz.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Let's assume, there's a team of developers working on the same project.
> The project uses some 3d party lib. It can be located anywhere on
> developer's machine. So relative paths for one developer, are not
> suitable for other developer's configuration.

That is exactly what Lazarus Packages was designed to solve! Lazarus
Packages are a LOT more than Delphi Packages. Simply create a package
for each 3rdParty component, or create a collective
"our_3rdparty_package". Now reference that package as a requirement in
your project. Now each developer simply needs to open and compile the
package (so Lazarus knows where to find it). If it's a runtime
package, it obviously doesn't need to be installed in the IDE.

Now simply open the project and lazarus will find all the related
units from the 3rdparty package. It works brilliantly - *much* better
than how it was done in Delphi IDE. The latter was a nightmare.

Regards,
  - Graeme -