[Lazarus] limit of mail size to this mailing list

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri May 22 09:11:14 CEST 2009

2009/5/21 Giuseppe Luigi Punzi Ruiz <glpunzi at lordzealon.com>:
> I think could be better to increase to 150KB.

100KB or 150KB is fine by me. 40KB was just to little, even for some
"normal" patches.

> This is enough for a long mail and to attach a screenshot or something else.

Users should also learn how to create screenshots. This is a major
gripe I have, even inside our company as well. I often receive
screenshots in BMP format in our office - and being around 2-3MB in
side. And even worse, they insert the BMP inside a MS Word document!

Some pointers (seeing that we are developers here, this should be easy
to do for all):

* PNG images are an ideal format, or GIF for animation display. JPG
  gives artifacts and make text look fuzzy.

* Only include the section/region of the screen or window that
  relates to the message. No need for full desktop size screenshots when
   you only wanted to show a problem in a button glyph for example.

* Changing the screenshot (PNG format) image mode from
  RGB to Indexed, reduces the the size a LOT. Plus, doing so the image
   still looks sharp. Using this, also allow you to include larger images while
   keeping the size relatively small.
   Under GIMP this can be done by doing:
      "Image > Mode > Indexed > Generate optimum palette" and then
clicking Convert.

 * Many screenshot programs don't include the mouse cursor. Somethings it is
   important to include a mouse cursor. The new Ubuntu 9.04 does this
automatically.
   If you use GIMP like I do (I'm on v2.4.5), I can supply a "mouse
cursor" paint brush
   which you can add to GIMP. This makes adding the mouse cursor afterwards very
   easy.

Like I said, some things just bug me a lot.  ;-)

Regards,
  - Graeme -