[Lazarus] limit of mail size to this mailing list

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Sun May 24 16:39:18 CEST 2009

Op zondag 24-05-2009 om 22:27 uur [tijdzone +0800], schreef Brad
Campbell:
> Joost van der Sluis wrote:
> The easier it is for people to view something, the more likely they are to review it.

But that's completely irrelevant. When someone submit a patch to this
list, he thinks that people who can actually commit the patch will look
at it.

But this is not the case. Because for those developers who have
commit-rights, the easiest way to view patches is the bug-tracker, not
this mailing-list. (ie: according to your own logic, they would not look
at this list at all, except it would be very interesting for them)

Only those people who can not apply the patch, will look at it in the
mailing-list.

> Keeping patches off the list is the best way to ensure they won't get comments..

Well, if you want comments on the patch, this mailing-list is the place
to be. But most people want that a patch is reviewed and comitted to
svn. Not only commented upon. (although that could be usefull)

Result: someone send a patch to the ML. Someone else sends a reply that
it's a good idea to change something. First person changes the patch and
sends it again to this mailinglist. The second person says: 'well done,
much better now'. And the first person is happy that his patch is
approved.

Three months later when he tries the new version of Lazarus, he
immediately looks if the patch is applied and his bug is solved and he
discovers that that isn't done... We'll never hear from him again...

Patches send to this list will be forgotten. To make that clear to
everyone: refuses patches. That'll save us a lot of trouble.

Joost.