[Lazarus] THelpEvent declaration discussion

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at mastermaths.co.za
Fri Nov 6 15:23:13 CET 2009

Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> FPC imports more oddities from Delphi, like the new change of Inc()

That broke my code too, but if it fixes some odd cases or ambiguous
code, I'm all for it. It was quick to fix my code anyway.

> the Delphi VCL and RTL interfaces, I'd wait for Delphi "X" before
> changing anything, or for the death of Delphi, whatever happens

That's like saying FPC cannot evolve without Delphi. That should never
be the case! FPC is a product on it's own - delphi compatibility should
be a "nice to have". Look what happened to Borland when they trying to
wait and see what .NET or Visual Studio does before they support those
features. Always playing "catch-up" is a recipe for disaster and you
will ALWAYS be second best.

> Before doing so we should check the existing help systems, e.g. on
> MacOS, for compatibility. Then the related type declarations can be
> updated in the same step, if required.

The new parameters I proposed are not new types, they are simply
information and types that already exist in TComponent or TApplication.

>> So yes, this will break backward compatibility in Lazarus, but
>> Lazarus is not the only GUI toolkit and development tools using FPC

As I stated later.... After looking in more detail at Lazarus code, I
saw they implemented there own type, so no, this change will not even
break Lazarus code.

I really don't see the issue here - nobody seems to be using the
declaration in the Classes unit! I would like to though in fpGUI, but
not in its current state.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/