[Lazarus] Debug Lazarus source

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Fri Nov 6 19:01:58 CET 2009

Juha Manninen schrieb:

> I don't know what happened here.
> At one point I deleted all Lazarus setting files from ~.
> Then I have reloaded the whole Lazarus source tree from SVN.
>   svn checkout http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/trunk lazarus
>
> "Make clean all" worked fine but when compiling lazarus.lpi I get errors:

Welcome in the club :-(

>   The project's compiler options has no compiler command.
>
> In Project Compiler Options -> Compilation -> Compiler the 3 checkboxes are
> unchecked: "Compile", "Build" and "Run".
> I check them.

Be warned! You should work on a copy of the lazarus.lpi project, else
you'll get trouble whenever you want to rebuild lazarus later. In that
new project specify an different output location for the executable.

You also may remove packages from the project, in order to speed up
compilation and linking. I added a global Define to the compiler options
(-dDoDi ;-), that allows to exclude parts of the Lazarus code, to change
the caption of the IDE window (for better distinction between the
debugging and debugged application) and more. As far as configuration
files are read and written by the IDE, it may be necessary to make the
Lazarus copy use different files, so that a rebuild of the working IDE
will not be affected by experiments.

> Trying to compile again:
>
>   lazarus.pp(37,2) Fatal: Can't open include file "ide.inc"
>
> So, in Compiler Options -> Paths -> Include Files I set "include".

We should discuss this and further updates in detail - I stopped after I
could not find out what options to set to which values.

My dream is a customizable Lazarus IDE project, where I can experiment
with docking, SynEdit and other modifications. We also can meet in
#lazarus-ide, to exchange our experiences.

DoDi