[Lazarus] Gecko on lazarus

Vincent Snijders vsnijders at vodafonevast.nl
Wed Nov 11 14:52:46 CET 2009

Graeme Geldenhuys schreef:
> Andrew Haines wrote:
>> I'm excited about the possibility of using gecko as the rendering engine
>> of lhelp. This is great news.
>
> For displaying HTML that would be great, but at what cost? How much
> bigger is LHelp going to get (executable size) if you add a complete
> Gecko engine into the executable. :-(
>
> Or does it use an existing Gecko install on your system and simply
> display output inside your application?  That would still mean you need
> to have something like Firefox install before you application will work.
>  That wouldn't be much of a problem under Linux, but will be under OS X,
> Windows etc..

I guess, the gecko renderer is optional and both ways of rendering should be supported.

If the internal (pascal) renderer is good enough, nobody will use the external Gecko
renderer. OTOH, some people want to trade speed and resources for a better rendering
in some cases.

You can compare it (a bit) with the internal and external (gnu ld) linker in the
windows compiler. Nobody uses the external linker on windows, except if you think
there is a bug in the internal linker (or are using the external assembler for
debugging purposes).

Vincent