[Lazarus] Lazarus Goal

Juha Manninen juha.manninen at phnet.fi
Wed Nov 11 21:19:02 CET 2009

Hi!

> I wrote the Lazarus version of SquareCell sometime ago.  It is a
> stripped down version of this Delphi program:
>
> http://linuxenvy.com/bprentice/SquareCell/Version%201/Square%20Cell.html
>
> I did test the program with version 0.9.28.2 on my Mac.  It seems that
> the mouse events and status bar don't work correctly.  Since  the
> menus on Widows XP and OS X behave differently,  the program needs to
> be rewritten to use buttons rather than menus to control the
> simulation and use menus to simply open dialogs.
>
> I needed  a CA simulator for my Mac and my original plan was to use
> Lazarus and FPC,  but since that didn't work I wrote this Java program:
>
> http://linuxenvy.com/bprentice/Java%20Square%20Cell/
>
> which I use daily.

I compiled the program under Linux and it runs OK. I think the problems are
some usability issues that could be fixed. One clear problem is that menu
actions (OnClick events actually) are at top menu items, not at sub-menu items
as usually.
You need to click the top menu item twice (separately, not double-click) to
get the action. I don't know if it is a bug or a feature but it is an unusual
way to use menus anyways.

Pity you wrote the Java version. I think this could have been fixed.

Juha Manninen