[Lazarus] cross platform [Re: Lazarus Goal]

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Fri Nov 13 08:19:03 CET 2009

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Martin wrote:
>
>> 2) is what Java and fpgui (and afaik msegui) aim for. It is easier
>> for the developper. But the enduser will find an application that is
>>  different to any other app he runs on his PC (and therefore harder
>> to use)
>>

> I guess we will have to agree to disagree on the part that it's harder
> to use. :-)  Users are not as dumb and inflexible as most developers
> make them out to be. End-users can adapt quite easily.
>
> Some quick examples were applications don't follow the "look & feel"
> rules of the platform, yet users have no problems in using them.
>
> * Windows Media Player.
> * latest Microsoft Office with it's new menu+toolbar design
> * Pixel image editor. It fakes native look. But looking closer at it, it
> is quite different to native platforms, yet users don't seem to have any
> issue with using it.
> * And the biggest one of them all. The INTERNET. Websites and Web
> Applications like Gmail, Facebook etc... It adheres to NO single
> platform, yet billions of users use the internet every day and don't
> have problems using it. If you can read the screen, you can use the
> interface.
I happen to know those users you do not name. Example: Learned IE, now
struggling with firefox.

But the very best (and it is a true story, I happened to witness myself:
A user who had only learned one (custom, none standard interface) only
keyboard driven application (which was at his place of work).
This users happened to accidentally touch the mouse, and click the
desktop. After that the application he used no longer responded to
keystrokes. He called tech support, reporting his PC had crashed.

Those users exist too.

But of course, user interface is more that just using a specific set of
widgets. And of course a custom widget set, with a well thought through
command hierachy, offering the propper commonds at the right time, is a
hundred times better than using the default widgets, but throwing all
available commands into one or 2 unsorted menus.

Martin