[Lazarus] cross platform [Re: Lazarus Goal]

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Fri Nov 13 10:02:00 CET 2009

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> So in such a case, the average user has no problem in using our fpGUI
> based applications.

ok, in my original post I did not mean to impugn fpGUI or anything like
this (I haven't event tested it yet). And even lazarus allows you to
modify, colors, sizes and fonts to the point of unrecognisably.

A button as long as graphically well presented, is probably always easy
to find. A form close button that resides in the lower, left corner
(instead of upper right) is probably  not helpful at all.

Yet even the menu layout between a mac, and a windows PC may be
confusing to some people  (I don't have a Mac but apparently some
entries are differently placed (like about) and at least on older Macs
(in the 80ties or 90ties) Menus, where always on the top of the screen
(like a toolbar), even if the window was not maximized (menus where not
part of the window).
Sure most people will find out quickly, and learn, but even then it is a
habit breaker. You first move the mouse to where you expect the menu,
not to where it is. (That is exactly why emacs is such a problem, every
single key-shortcut is different, even copy and paste; oh yes I do use
emacs but it took time)

If it is only looks that differ (color, maybe slight differences in size
or border width) it will probably not be a problem at all.

If it is more, like layout it becomes irritating. A gtk user may be very
used to have a dropdown that allocates the full height of the screen
(given it has enough entry), this gtk user will be highly irritated, if
only 8 entries at a time are displayed, and he has to scroll all the
time . He will be able do to it. But he may miss the comfort (comfort =
what he is used too)...

And so on....

Martin