[Lazarus] cross platform [Re: Lazarus Goal]

Phil Hess macpgmr at fastermac.net
Fri Nov 13 22:48:01 CET 2009

Good eye! No, this is the OS X Mail client.

I think one of the things that make the Mac pleasing is that it appears as though their aesthetic includes the injection of just a tiny bit of, well, joy for lack of a better word.

Examples with the Mail dialog:

Note that the title of this panel is "Fonts & Colors". In English an ampersand almost almost suggests informality. A Windows programmer might have used "Fonts and Colors"; a Linux programmer maybe "Fonts / Colors".

The glyphs are generally amusing too. I like the General and the Rules glyphs. Very memorable.

And the first time I saw the "Marker Felt" font it made me smile, which is probably the idea behind selecting it as a default font.

Also, color is used judiciously, but it's not a candy store. Note the choice of purple for the help button - this is a color you don't see much in dialogs, where reds, green, blues and grays seem to be the common colors.

It would be interesting to compare how this dialog looks in other locales to see whether they stayed with this fairly "light" approach.

Thanks.

-Phil