[Lazarus] help plz

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sat Nov 14 17:20:19 CET 2009

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 17:08:15 +0100
Alexander Kaupp <tanila at tanila.org> wrote:

> Hi Mattias,
>

> Am Samstag, den 14.11.2009, 16:27 +0100 schrieb Mattias Gaertner:
> > On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 15:44:37 +0100
> > Alexander Kaupp <tanila at tanila.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I had the idea to try to make it possible to transform an existing
> > > lazarus-project to a XUL/XPCOM-Gui application.
> >
> > Do you mean you want to write a converter tool to convert LCL
> > apps into XUL/XPCOM-Gui apps?
> > Or do you want to extend the IDE to create XUL/XPCOM-Gui apps?
> >

> Hmm I am not shure what is the better/easier way to start. Would be
> great to have it as a new LCL-Interface.

Theoretically possible, but if you want to emulate the LCL with
javascript then you have a lot of work to do.

> >  [...]
> > > The 1st step would be to transform the lazarus-forms to
> > > XUL-Documents with proper css (component positioning, etc)
> > > Later on create the JavaScript stuff with XPCOM binding to the
> > > event handlers.
> >
> > Ehm, you know that there are more than a hundred classes and several
> > thousand properties which interact in complex ways, don't you?
>
> Yes I know ... This is one reason why I dont know where to start :)
> But I think the mozilla-projects and afaik the GNOME-Projekt shows
> that everything is possible with this kind of technology.

Are there any applications ported from gtk, qt, wxwidgets to xul?

> So the main-part of this work is to replace the lcl-stuff which is in
> the app-binary as javascript-pendants. Because all gui-stuff is done
> in this language in xul. So you could see the app as the server and
> the XUl-gui-stuff as the client.

Normal LCL apps do not work as client/server. For example they try to
query the mouse position several times per second.

> > Maybe it is easier to start with an IDE extension to write
> > XUL/XPCOM apps?
>
> If you say it is easier I will try it this way.
> But I am not shure if this is possible, because the XUL-Approach is
> really different to all other GUI-Designs. And I am not a really
> experienced pascal-programmer tbh. Did too much web the last years :(

Mattias