[Lazarus] Release 1.0, part 2

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 14:36:21 CET 2009

2009/11/29 zeljko <zeljko at holobit.net>:
> case 0.9.28 (or 1.0) there must be full compatibility all the time
> (0.9.28.XX - or 1.0XX) and for such thing we need more developers who

This is where I prefer the Linux philosophy compared to Windows.
Windows takes compatibly to the extreme and compromise better and
cleaner designs in the process. Linux type software believes that if
something is broken, fix it using the best design and cleaner code -
even if this break compatibly.

With open source software, you have the code and there is more open
discussions about future plans and changes. So you can be more
prepared for things to come.

We use tiOPF based applications in our company. tiOPF introduces
breaking changes every now and again, but enough warning is given. And
if we don't have time to update our software immediately, simply don't
get tiOPF updates, or branch and back-port minor fixes, until you have
the time, in which case you get your software up to date with all the
latest changes and features.

We have been working like this for the last 5 years. It works well,
and is not as bad as one thinks.

  - Graeme -