[Lazarus] What's the hold-up with Lazarus v1.0?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 14:49:17 CET 2009

2009/11/29 Florian Klaempfl <florian at freepascal.org>:

> Being honest, should an OSS project care about users looking at version
> numbers? The most important thing for an OSS project are contributors,

And by preventing users form experimenting with FPC & Lazarus, to see
if it fits there needs, you are reducing the chances of getting
contributors. I know users <> contributors, but it increases the
changes greatly.

I started using Lazarus and FPC, and only as a user - no intentions of
contributing. By your standards, I have beaten all odds, as I have
contributed quite a few times to both FPC and Lazarus. So if I did not
start off as a users, I would never have ended up contributing.

> Do you really want such people using lazarus :)?

Probably not, but the problem is, they spread FUD, causing other users
to not even bother trying FPC or Lazarus.

> It took FPC also eight years to reach 1.0 and it was clearly feature
> driven: TP compatibility as far as possible.

And thus far Lazarus I believe is some 10 years old and still no clear
sign of reaching v1.0.

Bumping up the version number will not affect how current Lazarus
developers work. They will continue as normal. The only benefit is
that other users will perceive Lazarus as more stable now, and give it
a try.
There really is no down side in this, so I don't know why there is
such a resistance.

You of all people should also be happy if Lazarus attracts more users.
With the tight relationship between Lazarus and FPC, FPC will also
gain more users and possible contributors.

There is simply no down side to this!!

  - Graeme -