[Lazarus] Release 1.0, part 2

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 15:04:16 CET 2009

2009/11/29 Juha Manninen <juha.manninen at phnet.fi>:

> I see KDE 4.0 as a warning example of claiming the SW as "ready" too early.
> KDE 4.2 should have been 4.0.

Well that applies to KDE only. Lazarus is NOT in that situation.
Lazarus has been for the last 7+ years and at v0.9.x.  It sure as hell
isn't as "new" as KDE v4.0 was, so the KDE issues will not apply to
Lazarus at all.

> Version 1.0 (or 4.0 with KDE) should mean:
>  Usable for everyday work, no showstopper bugs and no missing features.
>
> Version 0.9.x means:
>  Good for testing and experimenting, don't trust for serious work. Some
> features still missing.

And version 0.9.x + "Beta" as in the title means: "We just started, so
don't even bother trying us yet!"

THAT IS MY ISSUE. Lazarus is 99.99% ready, but it presents itself as
rubbish. It's this that I would like to see improved. Silence those
idiotic posts about buggy beta software or it hasn't even reached v1.0
yet in 10 years!!!

This gives all potential new users the wrong idea!

> and then 1.0. Could happen quite soon. Early next year?

A agree! The next release should be 1.0 (release candidate)

  - Graeme -