[Lazarus] Release 1.0, part 2

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sun Nov 29 15:24:31 CET 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 01:38:06PM +0200, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> 2009/11/29 Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl>:
> >
> > The serious users will consider the current restrained version policy as
> > more serious and see through a cheap spin.
>
> That would be my view as well. Unfortunately we are then in the
> minority. Version numbers on Windows etc. and been in popularity for
> some time. No v1 release = rubbish software. Unfortunately that's what
> they consider fact.

Personally, if we are going to approach this marketing driven, I'm more in
favour of the slackware approach (as they did when they jumped from 3.6 to
7).

- determine direct competitors
- determine their version numbers.
- versionnumer:=max(other versionnumbers)+1

its a clear policy (a new release always has the major release number of the
competition +1), and a suffix in case there is no new competitor release.

At least it will put this kind of nonsensical discussions to rest (which is
exactly why Patrick did this)