[Lazarus] Release 1.0, part 2

Vincent Snijders vsnijders at vodafonevast.nl
Sun Nov 29 16:12:20 CET 2009

Graeme Geldenhuys schreef:
> 2009/11/29 Vincent Snijders <vsnijders at vodafonevast.nl>:
>> As Florian noted, Lazarus needs developers more than users.
>

> And as I have stated over and over. With new users come new
> contributors. I know I started as a user with no intention of
> contributing. But after a while I saw Lazarus and parts of FPC not
> that scary and managed to supply a few patches or features. Without me
> being a users first, those contributions would not have occurred.
>
> And yes, for the 100x time I know that not all users are contributors,
> but it does increase the chances of contributions. Do you honestly
> want to deny those possible contributions.

Please, take a look at the kind of (possible!) contributions.

I want more gtk2 developers (and thus users, that order), so I don't
want to scare them away with a buggy 1.0. For windows users, I could use
the trick of labeling beta quality software with 1.0, but for developers
  on linux, I doubt it?

So what do we get in your propase, more noise, testers (good!) and bug
reports, because of more windows users, a better win32 lcl and ide and a
lagging gtk2 widget set, partly because of less gtk2 widgetset
contributors, partly because of current Lazarus resources will be spent
more on win32 because that is where more using/testing/bug reports are
coming from. And all because you traded to get more win32 users rather
than gtk2 users. A bad strategy for Lazarus.

Vincent