[Lazarus] What's the hold-up with Lazarus v1.0?

Dariusz Mazur darekm at emadar.com
Sun Nov 29 17:37:43 CET 2009

Florian Klaempfl pisze:
> Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:
>
>> 2009/11/29 Florian Klaempfl <florian at freepascal.org>:
>>
>>> Do you really think we should care about people looking at version
>>> numbers? Wine took years to get 1.0 and people used it, one of the
>>> greatest emulators (qemu) is still at 0.11 having a quality Borland had
>>> selled as version "2007".
>>>
>> And who are they targeting? Linux and Unix users which as I already
>> mentioned, do not care much about version numbers. Lazarus targets
>> Mac, Windows, Linux etc.... Most of those targets DO care about
>> version numbers, even thought it might only be psychological.
>>

> Being honest, should an OSS project care about users looking at version
> numbers? The most important thing for an OSS project are contributors,
> no more, no less (don't tell me that a person/company selecting software
> by version number will ever contribute to an OSS project ...).
If You want to do professional project You should care about users. In
businesses then most valuable thins are client, not only because they
bought, but much more because business can learn from. Every hard,
difficult client is important, because what firm can learn from it, can
sell others.
If Lazarus, FPC and others don't want to be a toy (and I believe then
don't) then should care about some users.  Contribute its not only
patch, but also bugs etc.. Firms which want to switch to Lazarus always
make contribution, of course not all contribution are valuable nor
accepted, but  developers can choose, whats they like. Without those,
developers can't resolve some  problems.  Persons which do not any
contribution, are not problem also (You are happy when You have more
downloads)

Why professional should choose  this  project for ground of its core ,
if even developers don't believe they are ready.
We not discuss about different between version 1.0 and 2.0, but between
ready (1.0) and not ready (0.x). For persons that selecting software
this is
significant. And every OSS project should't discard them (should discard
every bad contribution)

> And for
> contributors a serious and defined development modell is import and not
> some marketing speech.

Some marketing speech yes, but as You say on other post  publish 1.0
version any API can change. Some users not accept those insecurity

>> Any steps taken to reduce bad publicity is a good thing. Seeing
>> comments like the ones I mentioned in my first post is what stops
>> potential developers from trying Lazarus, even though the original
>> poster of that comment didn't really give Lazarus a fair chance.
>>

> Do you really want such people using lazarus :)? They'll waste our time
> with whinning, no more no less.

You simply ignore those whinnying,  You don't give any promise, phone etc.

>> Developers read those comments and take it as fact and simply stay
>> away from Lazarus.
>>
>> Clearly you know the benefits of version numbers, otherwise FPC would
>> still have been at v0.x!
>>

> It took FPC also eight years to reach 1.0 and it was clearly feature
> driven: TP compatibility as far as possible.

Of course. But not 100%. Some of them You implement after. An even today
its not 100%, but those left are not important.
Lazarus is much harder. After years of development its not close to
ideal, because ideal was changed. An I suppose that after some years
will be the same. Or worse: ideal Lazarus will not be ideal for users,
because expectation will change.

--
  Darek