[Lazarus] Release 1.0, part 2

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 19:05:28 CET 2009

2009/11/29 Vincent Snijders <vsnijders at vodafonevast.nl>:

> I want more gtk2 developers (and thus users, that order), so I don't

I want many things too... if I'm going to get those things, is a whole
different story. ;-)

> reports, because of more windows users, a better win32 lcl and ide and a
> lagging gtk2 widget set, partly because of less gtk2 widgetset

Well, that's the case already isn't it??  Lazarus and LCL are already
very Windows centric (due to Delphi and Windows compatibility
requirements), so it will play right into there hands. This is no
joke. As far as I understand Lazarus is a lot more "implemented" or
stable under Windows compared to other platforms too... Thought I only
work under Linux and it seems ok to me.

Getting back to the issue at hand... Version numbering has nothing to
do with your guys design choice for LCL and lack of experienced
widgetset contributors. I still stand to my argument that wrapping
existing components on each platform (instead of creating custom
written ones) is a disaster! That just invites odd bugs (component
works here but not there), causes extensive regression bugs, divides
developer effort etc... But that was your guys design, so live with
it.

I'll emphasize the "divide developer efforts" part. If you guys choose
a better design for LCL, any developer could contribute and it would
apply to all platforms. This is the case in fpGUI Toolkit, and makes
contributions MUCH easier.

GTK2 is also not the ideal widgetset for all Linux users - especially
from a developer point of view, having to look at the GTK2 API. I
personally dislike Gnome + GTK2 (from a user and developer point of
view). Clearly other think the same, otherwise there wouldn't be
efforts like from Felipe and friends to create a LCL-Qt widgetset.

  - Graeme -