[Lazarus] New Help System & Viewer - sneak preview

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 12:02:21 CEST 2009

2009/10/1 Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org>:

> Good. Maybe you can add a compiled INF format then as well...

I'm will be working on a Object Pascal implementation of the IPF
compiler. Currently I'm using the WIPFC complier from the the Open
Watcom v1.9 (beta) project. They implemented their own IPF compiler to
overcome bugs in the original IBM IPFC compiler. Plus the new WIPFC
compiler is available for more platforms.

> Did you write the converter program yourself or is it something external ?

Custom written, but far from complete.

By the way, why did you use line drawing in the syntax format
diagrams?  During my help format research I played around with
OpenOffice and could duplicate the ref.pdf with OpenOffice and using
DejaVu font, and use Unicode block drawing symbols to end up with a
slightly better looking output than the LaTeX line drawing.  Maybe
"slightly better looking" is a biased statement. :-) I can send you a
ODT & PDF document in private if you want to compare.  Unicode block
drawing symbols are very handy for just such things - old ASCII Art
style. ;-)

Regards,
  - Graeme -